A roller shutter is also known as a roller door or even a sectional overhead door in some cases. These shutters come in very handy and they hardly occupy any space over the opening considering that they tend to form a compact coil right behind the lintel. Rollers are a type of window or door shutters made of horizontal slats that are connected together. In some cases, the slats are substituted by web systems or bars. The door can be opened or closed by raising and lowering the shutter. In larger doors, the system could be motorized to make the functioning easier.
Types of Roller Shutters
There are many different types of roller shutters found in the market. Some of them are
Security Roller Shutters
- These can be used for domestic and industrial purposes and are generally made of aluminum and steel.
- It can be used as a form of protection against robbers and also to protect the property from damage and vandalism.
- It can be electronically fitted to make the opening and closing easier.
- The rollers are perfect for places like warehouses, garages, storage facilities, etc.
Commercial Roller Shutters
- These can be used for industrial as well as commercial purposes.
- It is generally made up of galvanized steel to make it rust and weather proof.
- It is generally found in warehouse and shops but can also be used on other properties as well.
Insulated Roller Shutters
- This type of rollers can be used for energy conservation and also to protect the property against any harsh weather.
- It will also be able to block out noise and provide some security.
- It is found in places like storage facilities, car ports, spray paint booths and garages.
Fire Rated Shutters
- This type of shutter is used for protection against fire and heat in places where the temperature is very high.
- It will be able to protect both the inside and outside environment from any form of flammable materials.
- The rollers will generally be flame and heat proof and can be used in retail and industrial areas.
Industrial Roller Shutters
- These are very commonly used form of shutters as it is found in all industrial properties.
- It is available in different shapes and sizes and sometimes it even comes with glossy finishes to increase the appeal.
- It is most suited for large industrial buildings and shopping complexes that requires a professional look as well as provide security.
- These rollers generally come with additional security systems and bolts that can be locked.
- The rollers are either mounted internally or can be fixed externally to control theft and to block out unauthorized people from entering the property.
Main Benefits of Using Roller Shutter
- This will be a very good way to protect the property from climatic conditions like wind and rain.
- It will provide an added form of security against burglars and vandalism.
- It can be used for commercial purposes as well as domestic uses in areas like schools, garages, warehouses, storage units, etc.
- Extreme weather conditions are another reason why rollers should be used as it can protect the property against snowing, hails and also as a form of heat insulation.
- It will be able to shut out noise and heat from the outside environment.
- As some of the slats that are used in domestic rollers are titled it will allows sunlight into the home thus providing some natural light while still blocking out most of the glare.
- Different types of slat, sizes and materials can be used along with automated mechanism for easy opening and closing of the shutters.
These rollers come with adjustable slats that can be used to regulate the air flow.