Moving house can be a very stressful time, particularly if you have heavy or valuable items to relocate. The key to a successful house move is to plan in advance. If you know or can visualize where your furniture will be situated in your new house, this makes things a lot easier both for you and your removals company.
If you have, like many people do, heavy or valuable items to move, you will need to carry out some additional preparation. Items such as musical instruments or expensive antiques need to be moved very carefully to avoid damage, so you need to ensure the company you engage for your big move has the necessary experience and packing materials to make sure your valuable items are moved from A to B undamaged. If you’re looking for removalists Logan residents can rely on, a word of mouth recommendation is the best way to find them. In the absence of any personal recommendations, check the credentials of removals companies online. There are plenty of independent review sites with enough information to enable you to make an informed choice before signing on the dotted line.
Tips for Moving Heavy Items
Although you won’t be moving heavy items yourself, the tips below will help you make sure your removals company are adhering to the best industry practices. A seasoned and professional removalist will probably have a few more tricks up his sleeve when it comes to safely transporting heavy items but here are the most common-sense ones.
- Dismantle Items – This is probably the most obvious way to prepare heavy items for a house move, just make sure you know how to put them back together again.
- Protective Materials – You can minimise the chances of accidental damage with things as simple as bubble wrap, cardboard and blankets. This is particularly relevant to pieces of furniture that you value.
- Manoeuvring through Doorways – Have a plan in place before you attempt to squeeze an oversized or awkward shaped item through a doorway. Your removals specialist will have a number of tried and tested methods to ensure this particularly tricky task goes to plan.
- Lifting Straps – Lifting straps are items your removals team will possess in order for ease of heavy lifting.
- Sliding instead of Lifting – Sliding a heavy item is often much easier than lifting, as long you don’t damage the item or the floor.
- Ramps – Ramps are essential pieces of kit for removal companies as they make it easy to transport heavy items downstairs from the second floor of the average house.
Health and Safety
As with any job that involves potential dangers, safety must come first. Harness, protective footwear and suitable manual lifting techniques are just three elements that need to be taken into account when moving heavy items. Your chosen removals team should have the necessary health and safety training to do their job safely, in order to protect themselves and others.