If your roof is in need of repair, there are usually numerous options, with re-roofing being one method that should be considered. Many Australian homeowners are slightly confused as to the meaning of re-roofing, and you would be forgiven for assuming a re-roofing project is a straightforward replacement, yet it differs from roof restoration in several ways. Here are a few things you need to consider before agreeing to a re-roofing project.
- The Internal Roofing Structure – The joists and rafters must be in good condition in order to install a new layer of tiles on top of the existing ones, and with an established slate roofing company based in Sydney, you can receive a professional opinion regarding the best way forward. Of course, the roofer would want to inspect both the interior and exterior of your roof before making any recommendations. If the timber joists or rafters are damaged, they will have to be replaced before beginning on the re-roofing project.
- The Additional Weight Factor – Re-roofing involves installing a new set of roof tiles on top of the existing ones, and this will add a significant amount of weight to your roof, especially with a large property. If, for any reason, the roofing contractor thinks some extra support is needed, he will recommend strengthening the internal structure prior to adding the new layer of roof tiles. If there are only a few missing tiles, replacing them is a cheaper alternative to re-roofing, and it is only when the majority of tiles are either missing or in need of repair, that re-roofing is the best solution.
- Insulating Material – Adding another set of roof tiles allows you to insert a sheet of insulating material between the layers of tiles, which is highly recommended, as it provides you with extra insulation, which should keep your energy use down. The roofer would recommend a good brand and is happy to install this prior to laying the roof tiles.
- Aesthetics– Adding a new set of roofing tiles gives you the opportunity to make some radical changes regarding design, and with a slate re-roofing project, your home will have a stunning feature. Slate comes in a range of shades and finishes, and by discussing your options with an established slate roofing company, you can select something suitable.
- Other Options – As mentioned above, if there are a few roof tiles that need replacing, then roof restoration is the best answer, and most roofers can source identical tiles so the repair won’t look out of place. Talking to an experienced roofer is the best way to discover all possible options, then you can make an informed decision on which method of repair to choose.
If you are going ahead with a re-roofing project, make sure that you deal with an established local roofing company that has extensive re-roofing experience. The expert might not agree that re-roofing is the best solution, and in such a case, he would recommend roof restoration.