If you have ever considered installing a garden pond, you may be surprised to learn that there are a wide range of filters, pumps, and materials that actually make the entire process much easier. In fact, for many people, the pond is the beautiful centrepiece of their garden and provides a great deal of joy.
The Benefits of a Garden Pond
If you think that a garden pond is just about having a few goldfish swim around in a small pool of water, you may be surprised to learn that there are many measurable benefits, including the following:
- Sanctuary: Your garden pond is a fantastic natural sanctuary for all sorts of local wildlife, including insects, birds, amphibians, reptiles, and other animals. By installing and maintaining a garden pond, you create a living ecosystem that is of great benefit to local wildlife and provides them food and reproductive opportunities.
- Eco-friendly: By providing a natural sanctuary for local wildlife, you are also helping to preserve local species and add to their own natural habitats.
- Ecosystem and education: Your garden pond is a living ecosystem with an entire lifecycle that consist of both flora and fauna. Not only will you derive great pleasure from watching the seasonal changes within this garden ecosystem, but you may also find that is of great benefit in terms of education for children.
- Fertiliser: A garden pond that is busy with flora and fauna also builds up organic debris very quickly. All of this organic matter is very rich in nutrients and can be harvested and used as a natural fertiliser for the rest of the garden. If you’re a keen gardener, this will definitely save you money.
- Water savings: Your garden pond encourages plant life because it is filled with water and nutrients. In fact, the water provided by your pond is a natural growing spot for many types of plants and can really add to your garden. The fact that your garden pond acts as a reservoir for water saves you from losing money on water bills for the garden.
Looking After Your Garden Pond
Despite the huge advantages of having a garden pond, it is also something that needs to be maintained to stay clean and healthy. An unhealthy pond becomes toxic for flora and fauna that depend on it for their survival. Because the garden pond is not part of a natural body of flowing water in the environment, it is susceptible to becoming stagnant. Where water is still, organic debris builds up and toxins can form.
Installing one of many quality pond pumps solves this problem entirely. A pond pump serves to not only help the water flow and create much needed movement, but to also filter out much of the larger organic debris. This means that the pond will be filled with oxygen due to regular pumping and movement, decreasing the likelihood that organic debris will build up too quickly and form a toxic sludge.
Your pond will provide you many years of value, joy, and cost savings, but it is important that you always look after it to keep it healthy.