A home renovation project is quite an exciting feat. However, if you’re not careful enough, the renovation may cost you more than what it’s worth.
If you’re aiming for a guaranteed return on investment once your home renovation project is done, below are some home renovation “ventures” that, when done right, can increase property value without burning a big hole in your wallet:
Having a flowery burst of colors in front of your house is an eye-catching addition. Not only does a beautiful garden and well-kept yard make a welcoming impression outdoors, landscaping is also one of the least expensive methods of boosting your home’s curb appeal.
As a general rule (and if you can afford it), you can go all-out and invest 10% of your home value in landscaping but if you don’t have that kind of budget, you can also consider:
- Planting seasonal flowering shrubs
- Removing weeds
- Getting the grass as green as possible
- Mulching and edging
The things above are fast and inexpensive fixes that will add impact to the exterior of your property. Adding a charming focal point such as a fountain or walkway also adds major value to your home. Landscaping also imparts a relaxing vibe to your home making anyone who comes to your place to want to linger.
2. Kitchen remodeling
Your kitchen is a crucial element of your home and has a great impact on property value so make sure you give it the attention it deserves.
A kitchen remodel can increase the resale value of your home especially when you integrate the latest kitchen design trends and appliances. But if you have a limited budget, consider the following to freshen up the look of your kitchen:
- Don’t change your kitchen floor plan drastically and do a minor remodel if your kitchen only needs a cosmetic update.
- Brighten up your kitchen by sanding and repainting existing cabinetry.
- Update cabinetry hardware such as handles and pulls.
- Change drapes and window molding to add decorative details.
- Get your countertop replaced.
3. Roof replacement
It’s vital to consider replacing your home’s primary defense against weather conditions and other elements – your roof. It is a smart investment to undertake as it protects you, your family and all your belongings.
You may have a wonderful kitchen or bathroom, but all of that won’t last long without a good quality roof above you.
Do you need a new roof?
If you’re unsure about whether or not your roof requires replacing, check it for the following signs which say you do need a new one:
- Moss growth on the roof
- Cracked shingles
- Curled shingle edges or cupped shingle tabs
- Old and worn-looking
- Dark streaks on your roof deck
- Missing granules or bald spots
4. Bathroom remodeling
If you intend to sell your home in the future, the bathroom is a key element for creating interest in (or, conversely, turning off) possible home buyers.
Focus on creating a modern functional bathroom finished in an elegant and distinctive style.
Remember that the goal is to make your bathroom as appealing as possible to increase the resale value of your home.
The master bathroom will be the first place people tend to look into. A modern master bathroom focuses on providing plenty of space featuring an elegant tub, shower and sink.
You may also consider the following when remodeling your bathroom:
- If your tub is too big to fit out your door, get it refinished for a new look.
- Get rid of your dated wall cover and revive it with a fresh coat of paint and a gloss or semigloss finish.
- To work on minor wall damage, a spray-on texture will provide quick coverage.
- Replace old floors with new tiles in stone or ceramic.
5. Exterior enhancements
Aside from the garden, the exterior façade of your home should also get its own makeover.
After all, it’s one of the first things people see when entering your property.
- When doing a paint job, make sure the trim, door, and siding also complement the color of your frontage.
- To achieve an updated look, remove old canopies from doors and windows.
- Swap your damaged iron railings for wood supports to create an inviting entryway.
- Give a dramatic makeover to your bare porch by adding columns and a pergola.
- Increase the appeal of your outdoor living area by installing a wooden deck or patio.
- Replace your old siding with a fiber cement one to protect it from the elements.
- Give your courtyard a dramatic entrance with inviting light fixtures, mature foliage, and a gate.
- Make sure to hide unappealing air conditioning units using a wooden trellis with vines or creepers.
6. Living room updates
The details you place in your living room can also add value to your home.
For instance, adding a crown molding can give your living area a crisp and clean finish that most home buyers adore.
Other methods for updating the look your living room include:
- Moving furniture far from the wall to make the living room feel more modern and large.
- Creating a seating area around a distinctive feature that you want others to notice such as a fireplace.
- Adding new window treatments such as sophisticated curtains to add a bit of designer color.
How about a full-on home fit-out?
Most of the aforementioned steps are simple and easy cosmetic enhancements for your home.
But if you have a budget set aside for “proper” home renovation work, you can hire home interior fit-out specialists who can work with you to customize your kitchen and unify the look of your home with custom joinery and other integral design elements guaranteed to elevate the look, functionality and value of your property.
For interior home renovations, a reputable fit-out company is your most reliable partner in helping you properly utilize your space and make the best use of it.
And whichever renovation route you take, enlist the help of interior design professionals when deciding on a home renovation project to ensure you get the most out of your budget.
Shane Curran CEO at Interact Group LLC
Interact Group is a design-led interior fit out company that aims to set new standards in the UAE interiors market. Driven by their dedication to total customer experience, the company’s mission is to bring truly specialized teams to complex design and fit out challenges, utilizing their unmatched ability to deliver spaces efficiently and above expectation.